9.14.2006

The Mystery Person of 1985 goes to...

ME!!!

Growing up Mormon, I would go to Primary every Sunday. Primary is when the younger kids meet together and sing songs about God and learn about Christ through simple lessons (which usually include drawing pictures, playing games, etc.). At the beginning of Primary in 1985 (in Oklahoma), they would spotlight someone in the room and call them the "Mystery Person." Here's how the game went down. One of the Primary leaders would call one of the children's parents before church and ask them a series of questions about their child. Such as, "What is Lexia's favorite color?" Once Primary started, they would begin the game by stating one fact from their long list of questions about that child. For example, the teacher would say, "This Person's favorite color is Turquoise Blue." No one could ever guess who the Mystery Person was after the first statement was made. If you thought you knew who the mystery person was, you would raise your hand and guess. Usually by the fourth question, kids were on to who it was. Once someone guessed correctly, the teacher would read the rest of the information about the mystery person and all eyes were on them.

I always wanted to be spotlighted. Sure it was a fun game for me to guess who it could be, but more importantly I always secretly hoped it would be me. I longed for the day that I would be the Mystery Person even more than I desired to own Day-to-Night Barbie (her beautiful suit became a glamorous gown AND she had a briefcase with a cardboard calculator).

Well, it was February 2, 1985 and my longing days were over. I was finally blessed to be the MYSTERY PERSON! And here's proof:

Color of Hair: Light Brown [Really Dark Blonde]
Color of Eyes: Blue [Really Green]
Favorite Food: Spaghetti
Least Favorite Food: [Note that this was left blank because I loved/love all food]
Favorite T.V. Show: "Happy Days"
Favorite Activity: Feeding the ducks at Theta Pond [I still love feeding those darn ducks]
Favorite Family Activity: Playing Charades (guessing what people are doing); playing with dolls

Lexia is helpful to look after Sara. She puts the clean dishes away, picks up her toys and helps with the house work.

Lexia's least favorite chore is making her bed. [Honestly, what's the point in making a bed if it's going to get messed up again in about 12 hours]

Lexia has 3 cats [Still allergic]

Lexia would like to be a mommy when she grows up. [I didn't know I wanted to be a mommy. I'm so cute!]

Lexia's Story: When Lexia was just three... she liked the pretty colored Easter Eggs. She just knew they would taste extra special because they were so pretty. So she tried to eat the pretty eggs -- shell and all. She has always liked pretty things.

What a fun thing my mom recently emailed me. It's crazy how much some of those things still apply to me today. I love pretty, sparkly, twinkly, glittery, pink things. It's encoded in my DNA; I can't help it.

Side note, if you're thinking of asking me to marry you, ask with an Eames Lounge chair and ottoman (not a diamond).

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Yeah, um, "love for pretty things" is on chromosome 19 or something like that . . . if I remember correctly from my biology days.

September 14, 2006 2:29 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, and I never got spotlighted.

September 14, 2006 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had something like that to look back on. My favorite t.v. show would've been Duck Tales. No doubt about it. (Or depending on what age I was, possibly The Cosby show or Saved by the Bell.)

September 15, 2006 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, You did too get spotlighted. I just can't find the paper anywhere, along with your baby book. You were the last, not the least, but by then my scrapbooking days were behind me. hahahahahahha Love MOM

Nice post Lex. Glad I saved all these little important papers for you. You also tried to eat the Christmas tree glass ornaments, at the behest of Blake! And Dawn dish soap. You thought they would taste good! Love MOM

October 18, 2006 3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home