5.23.2008

The Most Unforgettable Date I've Ever Had

Can be summed up in one word, "Medjool." What is Medjool? Medjool is a type of date (the fruit) and my newest favorite food find. I can't believe I'm only now experiencing this fruit for the first time in my life. Let me share my discovery story with you.

I discovered them while babysitting at a French family's home a couple of weeks ago. They had a little FreshDirect bag of them sitting out on the counter. I would have never tried one because they look like dried, shriveled, ugly, brown, prunes (which I do like), but they were offered to me by the mom of the house so I politely accepted one. I had no idea what kind of addiction was about to surface after that first bite. It is a moment that will forever change my life. I couldn't believe how perfectly perfect this taste in my mouth was. I know that sentence is grammatically incorrect, but it is true.

The texture was a little different than I had expected - not bad - a bit chewy, slightly stringy on the inside, but filled with some sort of sugary crystalline element. It was, of course, the taste that got me - seriously, surprisingly, super good - like homemade Divinity! I thought, "how did they make these things? They must have soaked them in some sort of buttery brown sugar sauce." So I checked the back of the package for a list of ingredients. I saw no "ingredients" section and thought that's either a mistake or Fresh Direct did not want to disclose their secret ingredients. But it's illegal in America to not list ingredients, right? Well, I was pretty sure it was illegal and wondered, "could it be that something on earth grows this naturally candyesque? Could it really be just one ingredient? Could it really be some sort of fruit known to man (and woman) as a date? Could it?" It was as if mom's famous Thanksgiving sweet potatoes were cram-packed into a small, dried-looking, shriveled, ugly, brown, prune-shaped container. Only, there was no wrapper to throw away once eaten, no sodium or cholesterol added, nothing but nature's candy. Nature's candy indeed.

Ladies and gentlemen, that day changed my life and I'm 100% sure that it will change yours as well if you heed my advice and purchase Medjool dates. You may not know me, but I plead with you to trust me on this. If your doubtful, then let this piece of information about myself clear your mind: 50% of my diet consists of mouthwatering chocolate, sweet candy concoctions, and other fatty treats; therefore I am no health nut. I do not promote any food that in no way satisfies my 10,000 taste buds. So on that note, let me just say two things: I will probably be diagnosed with Diabetes by the age of 40 and may I introduce to you my favorite date: the Medjool. Now go take one out for yourself!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Crap. I saw the title of this blog post in my Google Reader list, and thought it'd be about a date date. You got me. You got me good. Boo. :)

May 23, 2008 10:42 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Ha! Ha! I knew I would get someone with a little tom foolery! Honestly, I don't think I've ever had an unforgettable human date. I mean, I've been on dates with unforgettable people, but the date itself wasn't extraordinary or particularly romantic. Wait...no, that was just a date with unique circumstances. So I'm still gonna go with no on that.

May 23, 2008 12:42 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I am with Lauren! Dang you Lexia!

But I do have to admit that you should contact the makers of Medjools (if it isn't God Himself) and handle their PR. I am dying to try one!

May 23, 2008 5:50 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

I want one! Where can I get them? MOM

August 30, 2009 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home