11.24.2007

Where There Will Be Blood, There Will Be Me



I haven't been this excited about a new movie since, well, Dan In Real Life. But this is a different kind of movie - A Talented Mr. Ripley kind of movie. It is directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia). Everything about it reminds me of old Hollywood - you know, the kind where they had a plot. In addition to that, the music is... I don't even know how to begin to describe it except to say that it has this haunting, abstract, orchestral quality. Considering that it's composed by Radiohead's guitarist Johnny Greenwood might have something to do with it. Now that I think about it, it has a similar feel to the song Life In A Glass House from Amnesiac (which has always been my favorite on the album).

Just about everything in this movie makes me eager to watch it. The visuals remind me of a John Steinbeck novel. And Daniel, oh sweet Daniel Day-Lewis - a candy bar should be named after him. He's got a wicked Texan accent (and I mean wicked in the true sense of the word - not the Bostonian sense). Paul Dano also stars in this movie. You probably remember him from Little Miss Sunshine (the cute little dark existential teenager). This is going to be the kind of movie that feels like reading a book - if that's possible to do. Considering it's an adaptation of a novel by Upton Sinclair's Oil!, I suppose that might have something to do with it. Oh, the psychological thrill it will be. View the trailer now, or else there will be blood...

How perfect was that last sentence as cheesy as it sounds? :o)

Note that I normally don't promote R-rated films. Also note that even though I mentioned three other R-rated films in this post, it's purely coincidental. I normally don't watch... I... Sara... but you... okay.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

LEXIA! I think I'll just read the book . . .

You know, the trailer makes me think of a book I had to read in college -- Blood Meridian by Cormack McCarthy (I think that's how his name is spelled.) Anyway, it's the same kind of morbid mix of violence and religion. You know, I could probably write a paper on it or something. Something about scapegoating, sacrifice, and sacrality . . .

Hm. You're right; this movie looks interesting. Interesting enough to get me to watch an R-rated movie, though? Probably not. :) Maybe I'll watch it, if it's ever edited for TV . . .

November 24, 2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

That's my favorite song on Amnesiac.

December 04, 2007 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home