6.19.2009

Mare Nostrum by Nymphenburg



I love these plates and this tureen!!! I love them because of the unique subject matter for such fine china - lobsters. I love the vibrant red and orange hues and highly detailed design of the focal point contrasted with the simplicity of the plain white background. I love the silhouette of the plate itself with it's lightly scalloped edge. I love that the tureen isn't overly decorated and highlighted with color allowing the delicate craftsmanship to show as well as letting the playful lobster handle take center stage. I was so thrilled when I discovered this design months ago. I could tell by the Nympehnburg website that they were going to be expensive - whenever the price of something isn't listed online, you know it's gonna be expensive. I figured since Royal Copenhagen plates run around $150 each, these must be about the same cost. So the last few months I've lived my life thinking that one day I'll be able to own these plates.

Well, I recently found out that these plates are ten times the amount that I originally thought. I found a website that lists one Mare Nostrum Nymphenburg plate at $1,200!!! ONE PLATE! Who are these people that can afford china that expensive? Forget about the Tureen - it's $6,700! Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a plate so I can frame it and hang it on my wall as artwork. They really are exquisite; even the name is beautiful, Mare Nostrum, Latin for "Our Sea." Alas, these plates will not be in MY Sea. Why is almost everything I love so expensive...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Wow, that's insane. I don't care if God himself pooped these jokers out -- I still wouldn't pay that much for them.

June 19, 2009 3:29 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Interesting point. I would have just said "if God created them himself," but I suppose God's excrement gets the idea across as well.

:o)

June 19, 2009 3:41 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I do NOT like that tureen at all. It's so yucky! The plates are nice, I'll admit . . . But a lobster handle? Really? Sometimes I just don't get your style. I know it pretty well, but then you're like . . . Lobster-handled tureen? Really?

June 19, 2009 5:26 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

My sister has a china shop connected with her flower shop. She could probably help you MAKE your own tureen with the plain white glaze and do your own lobster handle. THEN you can afford it. That is something else we Snow's always have to do. Make them ourselves. But then you will have learned a new trade! Love MOM

June 20, 2009 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Summer said...

I have a joke with myself-and a game. I choose my favorite item from a group (one pair of shoes amidst a sea of others-to play off the sea theme) and check the price. Of course every time I choose the most expensive from the lot. It always happens. That's the curse of having exquisite, top-notch taste.

July 11, 2009 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home