7.03.2006

What I Want in a Husband

When I was 12, I wrote this:

1. Kind
2. Likes kids
3. Rich (underlined 3 times)
4. Loving toward other people
5. Morman (yes, I actually spelled mormon Mor-Man; I kinda like it that way)
6. 6' foot (I think I meant 6 feet tall; not a man with a 6 foot long foot)
7. Play sports
8. Good looking
9. Older than me (even at 12 I had my priorities straight)
10. Honest

At 25 I'm writing this:

1. Moves forward and isn't afraid of change (I would go so far as to say he even embraces it)
2. If not Jimmy Fallon, looks a lot like him
3. Will marry me despite my massive student loans
4. Likes chocolate, popcorn, meat, and onions
5. Has lots of energy to rear potentially 4 or 5 children and will help motivate me to rear them too!
6. Isn't scared of me or the way I think
7. Weighs more than me
8. Can take me to the temple to be married eternally
9. So...Mormon.
10. Has the four f's: funny, funny, funny, funny
11. Collaborates with me on projects such as art, music, writing, dinner, baby-making, etc.
12. My ideal man would be good at or highly interested in the following:
- Learning -- so we can talk and talk and talk about everything
- Culinary arts -- so he can cook homemade soup for me when I'm sick
- Computer science -- so he can speak C++ to me
- Playing musical instruments -- so he can sing to me whilst I play the recorder
- Writing -- I need an editor
- A Comedian -- See number 2 and 10
- Deep cleans the bathroom, kitchen, floors, etc. every once-in-a-while when I'm too busy to do it (and doesn't forget the details like cleaning the door knobs, refrigerator, etc. I'm not saying he has to be tidy all the time, but he just has to know how to clean well -- none of that sweeping it under the rug thing).
13. Willing to serve others
14. Wants to be with me/enjoys spending time with me
15. Loves, listens, and is obedient to God

Too much to ask? Maybe. But if you don't dream big or shoot for the stars, then, uhhh...you're not dreaming big or shooting for the stars. :o) Listen, it's a list I don't adhere to. Think of it as a job description: ideally it would be great to find all of these qualities in a man, but do I really expect to find someone who encompasses this entire list? No. Will he have the potential to learn and grow into the man I want him to be? Yes. I'm KIDDING! People are individuals and have their own interests and desires, I know this. Hopefully my future husband will have qualities and skills I need to work on so he can help me improve myself and show me how to do and try new things (like exercising, or anything that involves movement). I understand that my future spouse will be interested in things I'm not interested in (and I view that as a good thing -- even if that interest involves a love of football). Alls I'm sayin' is, these are the things that peak my interest or are important to me in some way (particularly #1, #5-11, and #13-15). So, if you fit the bill, the shoe fits, or you're name is Jimmy Fallon, step right up! Or as Abba declares, "Anybody could be that guy!" But only if the night is young and the music's high.

Amendment:
17. Dances, DANces, DANCES!!!

So, what are you looking for in a mate/eternal companion?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rats. If not for the C++, dancing and Jimmy-fallon-ism, I'd fit that perfectly! I'm so awesome yet I fall so short...Sorry, Lexia. Ah, what might have been!

July 03, 2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, Lexi. I laughed and laughed and laughed at this post. (I'll call you later and give you the specifics . . .)

Now -- to the important stuff: What am I looking for in a husband? Pretty much what you're looking for, I guess, except I don't mind if he doesn't look like Jimmy Fallon. In fact, I don't want a Jimmy Fallon look-alike. There are some cute people at church I wouldn't mind him looking like . . .

But the following is quite possibly the deciding factor for me. He MUST:

Have bigger feet than me. Period.

:)

July 03, 2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Man, yeah. That was a great post. So many good posts out there to read tonight. (See Genevieve's blog: www.bilaeva.blogspot.com)

Ahh, I miss the days of yore -- talking to you about these things. So fun to think about. So much more fun than actually going out and looking for our illusive male counterparts...

Anyway, as we all know, I'm not a picky person. I really like the male gender of our species. Period.

Buuut. If I have to list some criteria, I'd have to say that I am not amused by someone that will let me boss them around.

And I like drummers. With beards. Preferably Danish drummers with beards.

LYLAS!

July 03, 2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Lexia, all the posts of this month crack me up. I'm so glad some people write gutsy blog posts. Mine tend to be way too diplomatic.

Anyway, after my engagement broke off, I made a list with a "should have" and "should definetely not have" side. It pretty much listed everything I was angry at in my ex-fiancee on the neg. side... Well, I got over using him as the negative template ;o)

Now lists somehow don't work anymore. Not at all. Every time I end up really liking a guy, he doesn't fit more than a fraction of the list items.

I found out this criterion recently though and I think it might become one of my new favorites: If being alone (urge to be alone) doesn't have to exclude the guy I'm with, it's going really well!!

July 03, 2006 11:20 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

BROOKS!

July 04, 2006 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's cheesy, but I really like the description in Depeche Mode's "Somebody."

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/depeche_mode/somebody.html

July 05, 2006 1:24 AM  
Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

I want my wife to not be mean and constantly yell at me. That will do just fine.

July 05, 2006 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home