6.20.2006

So the Saying "It's Like Riding A Bike" Is True!

I rode a bicycle on Saturday and it was quite possibly one of the funnest things I've done in New York City. We (Reghan, K/Carly, Dianne, and Dianne's friend) rented bikes at Liberty Bicycles on 55th street and 9th avenue. I was a little nervous because I haven't even SAT on a bike since I was 12. Also, I've heard too many horror stories where people got hit by cars and dragged underneath trucks while riding their bikes in the city. I did not want to be one of those horror stories (although it would be kind of cool to tell one if you survived).

We rode north along the Hudson River to 125th Street. There was such a wonderful breeze. I forget how much I love being by the water to hear the sounds of the waves on the rocks and to see the boats wading in the ocean.

Side note: I'm not sure if my honeymoon will be centered around the beach or snow. The tricky thing is, I love the ocean, but burn like nobody's business. Not to mention, I vowed never to wear a swimsuit again. I also love the mountains, but hate cold weather. Such a predicament.

Anyway, I was riding the Fuji Crosstown 3.0 and considering I know nothing about bicycles (except you sit on them, pedal, and some chain connected to wheels rotates the tires allowing you to move forward) I would say my bike was a winner!

I just remembered I DO have a bike story! When I was living in Oklahoma, I was trying to impress my brother's friend by showing him I could bike on the curb of the street. I was barefoot so when my bike went up the incline I lost my balance, my foot slipped, my big toe got caught in that chain thing, snapping it (my toe), and leaving me with a life-long injury. I ran inside crying, told my dad that my foot was throbbing, and he said, "lie down and have some grape juice." I remember very clearly that my mom was out of town, so she couldn't help me. Well, to this day I cannot bend my right big toe. I'm assuming the problem lies with the middle and distal philanges and the proximal interphalangeal joint (PIP). But I've never seen a doctor about it, so that's my own diagnosis. Basically, the bone protudes out of it's joint, causing a constant callus to the skin around the region, and allowing no flexiblitly or movement in the joint (seriously, I can't bend my toe). I have to live with this every day for the rest of my life you guys. It's difficult to find shoes that fit comfortably - and not just because I have large feet.

But I was able to get over my fear of my toe getting caught in the chain again, as well as my fear of riding on the streets of New York. It was a great activity and I give it two healthy phalanges up (actually it would be four phalanges because the thumb consists of two each, but whatever)!

14 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Lexia!! I was happy to find your blog--welcome to the blogging world ;o) I like that you write about bikes. I should write an ode to my bicycle on my blog some time because it faithfully takes me everywhere and I always get excited when other people tell me good experiences with bikes. I must admit, that's a sad story about your toe (but one of inspiring endurance and overcoming ;o) ...). It does happen more easily on a bike--I just wiped out this morning (see my blog). But don't be discouraged--think of the great excercise and don't ride in downtown New York. I just saw a biking messenger person who was badly scraped up everywhere.

June 20, 2006 4:03 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Hey Yvonne! It IS a story of overcoming challenges and one that I hope inspires many.

BIKES RULE!

June 20, 2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Ok two things that strike me...
1. I too broke a toe and I am sorry that you still have to live with it while I am COMPLETELY OK!!

B. What is it with Snow's and their toes? Brooks is constantly complaining about his toe (rightfully so)... was it your right toe? was it Brooks' friend you were trying to impress? Maybe there is some correlation!

June 20, 2006 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!

I love bikes. I used to be a realy intense biker when I was younger; I even had my own snazzy Pearl Izumi biking gloves. Unfortunately those biking days were also the cause of my disproportionately thick calves. The moral of the story? Bikes inevitably lead to disfigurement.

My love of the water is what keeps me hear on Roosevelt Island. Also, I like your choice of Honeymoon locations; why not have your Honeymoon on the coast of Greenland or Iceland in the winter?

June 20, 2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

I have a scar under my thigh of the chain. Really it is 4 or 5 little scars where the spiky part of the chain cut me up good (right after falling on my family jewels).

Snow honeymoons are way hotter than beach honeymoons. If you desire one, we should probably get married...since no one else seems to want a snow honeymoon.

June 21, 2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Beware of the Chain of Death!

Because my last name is Snow, when I see the word I immediately think of the Snow Family. So, when you wrote "Snow honeymoons are way hotter..." I was like, "How does he know we're such passionate people?" :o)

By-the-way how many honeymoons have you been on? And which Mulcock brother am I marrying?

June 21, 2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, these comments are funny!

I liked your side note very much. I, too, feel conflicted on that subject; Ian offers a nice alternative, though. But I DO think that a snow wedding is winning over my brain. I mean, you can eat S'mores in a chilly winter cabin, and anything that has to do with chocolate makes me happy. When I'm on the beach, I tend to lose my appetite -- so a honeymoon without chocolate? I think not!

June 21, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

Well, there are only two available Mulcock brothers (little NYCBro having been snatched up). You choose - both are happy to accept your loving lovingness.

June 22, 2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Alright then, I choose both.

June 22, 2006 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the beach puts you off eating, Sara, why not pick a lakeside spot?

And I would have suggested a dual to the death to see who would win the hand of Lexia the Fair, but it sounds like you three found a more elegant solution.

June 23, 2006 1:10 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Exceedingly fair, Ian. :o) And humble.

June 23, 2006 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeesh. What is up with my spelling these days?

June 24, 2006 12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lex, I thought the same thing when I read the comment about snow and hotter honeymoons. Anyway, that story is hilarious. I wish you could see the picture in my head of you riding your bike in NY. It is really funny. I love you.

June 27, 2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

So sorry, Lexia that I was out of town. Although, we probably would have gone to the hospital and you wouldn't have liked that. You should get it fixed when you get a good job with insurance! hahahah
What fun friends you have and I like the reference to Lexia the Exceedingly fair! LOVE MOM

June 27, 2006 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home