8.12.2011

Lobster, Lobster, Everywhere!


If you know me, you know I love Maine. If you really know me, you know I love Maine Lobstah! As you can see from a previous post of mine entitled Mare Nostrum by Nymphenburg, I have developed a small obsession for all things lobster related. Much of it stems from the fond memories I have of visiting my in-laws in Maine and the times I've spent with my husband who is from there. However, much of it stems from that wonderful orange red hue that can only be found in freshly steamed Maine lobster. There's no other color like it in my book - especially for the summer months. But the great thing about this color is that it can easily transition into the winter months so seamlessly. Not very many colors have that year round staying power and yet this is one that can be fresh and light for the summer yet provide warmth in the long, cold, winter months. It can be used scarcely to add pops of color on a shelf, in a painting, or in a pillow as I have done in my apartment.


Unfortunately when I purchased this lobster pillow made of wool, there was no company name or tag listed anywhere on it (or even inside the zipper - trust me, I checked as thoroughly as an OB-GYN would). I bought it in a small gift shop in Ogunquit, Maine, just before you start walking on the Marginal Way trail if that helps you find it should you too want a lobster pillow.


This lobster napkin is another purchase of mine that as soon as I saw it in the Nantucket Whaling Museum, I knew I had to have at least ten of them. Well, maybe only one since they cost $18 individually...gulp. They're made by Statements Table Linens and distributed by C & W Imports. They are the hand towels with a single stitched lobster on each one. The packaging states it comes with two pieces; however, mine only came with one. It only takes one, though, to put in a little silver frame - which I plan on doing in the future.

This lobster red shade is so wonderful and universal that it can even encompass an entire sofa or chair as in the one I've longed to own for about eight years now, Anthropologie's Astrid Chair in Naive Tropical. But seriously, who hasn't had a crush on this chair by now? It's like the Johnny Depp of chairs.


Come on, how can you not love that face...I mean chair. Notice I even found a photo of him with a red background? Not coincidental.

Alls I'm sayin' about lobsters and design is that inspiration can be found anywhere and if you're trying to figure out what colors to use in your home, think about the color of the things your drawn too, whether it's the food on your plate, the plate your food is on, or Johnny Depp's soft, wavy, chocolate brown hair. I know the following photo is redundant, but it would have been criminal to leave it out. I simply don't want to get in trouble with the law. Heh, heh.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Lexia! I need more of you in my life. Please let me know when we can get together. I still have the same phone number so give me a call!

August 12, 2011 3:19 PM  
Blogger doopadee said...

I don't know if I should be happy that you're blogging again, or mad because there are two pictures of Johnny Depp..

Let's go to Maine again!

August 12, 2011 3:59 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 12, 2011 4:09 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Ha! Ha! For those of you that don't know Doopadee, he's my husband! Don't worry honey, your hair is softer, prettier, and younger than Johnny's. And the length of your hair being long in no way has anything to do with my liking his long hair...

August 12, 2011 4:11 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

LEXIA! I can totally embroider that same LOBSTER anywhere I can sew it! And Nice post. Love Maine too. We will be there July 4th 2012

MOMMY! Love your wedding dress. WHO made it? It fits so nicely!

August 12, 2011 4:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I love this post, and I love Adam's comment.

Your writing is so funny . . . I think it's way better than mine, but I've told you all this before . . . Keep up the good work!

August 12, 2011 4:53 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Sara, how did we not see mom's comment coming a mile away? Of course she can sew it! That's all we've ever heard our entire lives...and do I have ANY of the things she could so easily sew?!? No.

Yes, mom, my wedding dress was pretty. I'll post about it as soon as the memories from making it fade into the darkest part of my mind.

August 12, 2011 5:12 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I'm gonna need a hex code for that color, please. :) Or better yet, a reference to a paint color/brand. (I want to paint a dresser that color for the nursery.)

August 15, 2011 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home