8.03.2006

I Broke A Vow

I vowed never to wear a bathing suit again in front of others (or by myself for that matter) for the rest of my life. I'm just not in good shape anymore -- or any shape. I'm so pale you can see not only the veins in my body, but the bones underneath them as well. Also, I'm a pear shaped girl which means I have "junk in the trunk." At this point in the story, some of you girls reading this are thinking, "I wish I were more pear-shaped than apple shaped because you can hide your fat with shorts and still look thin because you have a lean torso." No, I disagree. You, apple-shaped girl, have a bossom and skinney legs. You don't look like you're trying to hide your thunder thighs by wearing shorts. Not to mention, I don't have the clearest skin so even exposing my top isn't safe. Alas, I digress. So there were numerous reasons why I didn't want to wear a swimsuit again, but I won't go into every detail.

I made the vow years ago after I gained the freshman 20. I know, my weight gain was a little more than the average. All the more reason to make a vow to myself not to wear a suit! Since then I've lost a little weight, what with living on the 6th floor of a walk-up building (no elevator). But, I still didn't want to wear a suit in front of others.

The day of the beach trip had arrived and I wanted to go so badly. I didn't want to get my undergarments all sandy so I thought, "I can wear my swimsuit underneath my clothes. That way, if I sweat a lot or walk in the water, I won't have to worry about getting my clothes all dirty." I continued to think, "I can cool down if I need to by taking my shirt off and I can at least let the UPPER portion of my body taste a little sun." After thinking, I packed a little bag of necessities (mainly food -- I've gotta sustain my weight somehow) and proceeded to put on my swimsuit.I think it's important to note that I haven't put this swimsuit on since I was in high school. I didn't even know if it would fit. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it did.

I carefully applied massive amounts of 30 SPF sunscreen on my paper white body. You're supposed to put sunscreen on BEFORE you go outside, so that's what I was doing. Reghan was of course waiting on me. The doorbell rang and it was our exterminator, Juan. Juan was the first man to see me in a swimsuit since Dusty, an 18 year old high school senior. I take that back. I just remembered I went swimming in Florida once as an undergrad with my sister and brother-in-law. So, Juan was the first man to see me in a swimsuit since my brother-in-law (note, it was a different suit).

Finally we began the 1.5 hour trek to Jones Beach via the Long Island Rail Road. Jones Beach is bigger than I imagined it to be. TONS of people were there. It was a slightly overcast day, which didn't make me look any less pale. There are two things that create the illusion that I'm tan: sunglasses and night. Obviously it was day, so night could do nothing for me. Thank goodness for sunglasses, though, because without them, I would look like my natural color and not that smooth sepia color that sunglasses so graciously give. Yes, I have a complex about my skin tone!

So we're there on the beach, with our friends from church (it was a church activity). I laid out my blanket and decided to take off ONE article of clothing. I was not going to break my vow. I decided I wasn't going to go in the water either because I thought of how disgusting it might be. New York ocean probably isn't very sanitary. So I laid on my blanket listening to music on my shuffle...and Robert. I was getting really bored sunbathing. I can't lay still for a second when it comes to suntanning. As lazy as I am, one might think I could sunbathe like a pro because all it requires is not moving. I get antsy and bored waiting for the sun's cancer causing rays to kill me, though. I tried talking to Reghan, but she wanted to sunbathe in the serious way where you lay in silence. I was getting hot and people kept saying how cool the water was. I applied more sunscreen and kept waiting...waiting for something I thought would never happen again. I had no idea what I was capable of doing and what I was about to do. Vow-breaking is no joke; especially when it involves a swimsuit.

As I was looking around at the people on the beach I had an epiphany. The sun-drenched girls in their thongs next to me, with their bleached blonde hair, and probably fake "Gucci's" I'll call them, were few and far between. Most of the people on the beach were either old, under 10, or looked similar to me. The one's in the best shape looked like they were in high school, so how could I even compare myself to that? I was realizing I didn't have to be intimidated or embarassed about my appearance. I even looked good next to some people despite my whiteness, flab, and other flaws. The longer I people-watched, the more courage I was gaining. I realized everyone was different, flawed, saggy, hairy, too tan, out of shape and I wasn't the exception.

I decided I would do it. I would reveal the bottom half of my pear! At first I was a little aprehensive. Okay, A LOT aprehensive. You know what though, after a while, I felt liberated. So there I sat, in my high school blue gingham bikini -- in broad daylight for all of Jones Beach to witness. Once I was comfortable in my skin, I even decided to STAND UP and WALK towards the water!

It was nice to be in the cool ocean. We jumped waves and had fun until I realized someone's bikini top foam padding was not just floating next to me but following me. Also, I kept landing on something sharp beneath me. I didn't even want to think about what that could have been, so I ignored it -- like I ignored what people might have thought about me as they saw me in all my pale, jiggly, glory.

To those who actually read this entire post, I've decide to give you a treat: PICTURES!!!


Reghan, Me, and the infamous suit (or the infamous Snow skin)!


Reghan, Me, and my favorite shade of blue.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bilaeva said...

That is a lovely shade of blue that suits you well. And I'm glad you decided to induldge in a little bit of vitamin D. It's always amazing. You take off your clothes, revealing a bathing suit and a pasty acre of flesh, and what happens... nothing. No gasps of horror, no children shrieking with fear, no shouts of "put that away, I've just eaten, you know". Once it's out there, who cares. And there's nothing like a dip in the ocean. So good for you!

August 03, 2006 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great figure, Lexia, you are actually quite thin, and you are very, very pretty! Furthermore, many people find alabaster skin highly desireable, especially on a blonde.

You should consider it a FAVOR to the people around you when you wear a bathing suit! Think to yourself: "Hello world! Savor this moment, for I am offering you a glimpse of my fantastic physique!"

August 03, 2006 4:24 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ahh, I totally laughed out loud at this post. Especially when you mentioned the foam from somebody's bikini top following you. Soooo funny.

But you didn't even tell the funniest part... :)

August 03, 2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Maybe you wouldn't have felt so embarrassed and exposed and blinding white had you been wearing a modest one-piece. You know, there are some great swimsuit prints these days, and I can't sing enough praise for the tankini . . .

And I completely disagree about the pear shape vs. the apple or whatever. It's TOTALLY easier to hide a big bottom and thighs. And I'll never understand why girls with big lower halves don't get that guys love that. You know what Queen says, right? "Fat-bottomed girls -- they make the rockin' world go 'round!"

So don't even feel gross about your body. I know the point you were driving at, but honestly, Lexia, you know you look good. That's what's so irritating about you writing this post.

IN YO' FACE!!!

August 03, 2006 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Testify, Sara. Testify!

August 03, 2006 11:56 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

OH, SNAP! I know you just didn't! I was going to wear my one piece, but my roommate said it looked like a late 80s workout leotard. You know the aqua, purple, and periwinkle one?

I'll take your bossom over my butt ANYDAY!

And bilaeva, "a pasty acre of flesh" was brilliant. BRILLIANT!!!

August 04, 2006 1:06 AM  
Blogger Bilaeva said...

The tankini is king! awful, awful word, but the idea is genius. especially if you pick something where the pattern/colour of the top and bottom are contrasting. magic!

August 04, 2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

The sharp thing you kept standing on was actually probably a crab (not the sexually transmitted kind, well, maybe). They are in the water and pinch you if you step on one.

August 04, 2006 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lex, I feel your pain. I too suffer from a pear shaped body with a rather large bottom half (of the pear). I went to the beach with some friends of mine recently and had the same epiphany. I even saw a thong wearer with dimples (granted it may have only a couple, but they were there). So I decided I was going to have fun! I didn't even have to worry about my inner thighs rubbing together to make that nice rash because of the sunscreen and salt water. However, what gave me a lot of courage was going to the tanning bed for about a month before I went on the trip. My fat not only looked better, but I did not have to worry about getting a burn. The worst part about being a fat-bottomed girl is finding a pair of pants, say a 12, that have a 14 hip/butt area. Not 14 all over and a 12 waist. Just 14 in the butt. Anyway-if you invent those you'll get your millions to pay off your student loan. I love ya'

August 04, 2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

You should swim like there's no tomorrow.

Then forget about the baby.

August 04, 2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I'm on it Sum.

No, Sara! NO! Iz too funn-y! IZ TOO FUNN-Y!!!

August 04, 2006 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home