7.25.2006

Most Romantic Bible Story So Far

I'm currently reading the Old Testament. So far I think the story of Jacob and Rachel is the most romantic one in the Bible. They kissed at the well, people! I bet if that story was set in the 1970s and it was a movie and not scripture, "How Deep is Your Love" by the Bee Gees would be playing in the background.

I assume you guys won't get out your scriptures and read it, so I'm gong to quote part of it.

Their First Encounter (Genesis 29:9-11):
"And while he yet spake with them, Rachel came with her father's sheep: for she kept them. And it came to pass, when Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mother's brother and the sheep of Laban his mother's brother, that Jacob went near, and rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mothere's brother. And Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice, and wept."

What They Were Willing to Do to Be With One Another (Genesis 29:18-20):
"And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter. And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me. And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her."

Sigh...I also enjoy the story of Rebekah and Isaac (Gen 24). What would you guys be willing to do to be with the one you love (who of course loves you in return -- stalkers please don't respond)?

Also, please don't tell me I might like "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. I don't. I have issues with "historical fictions." Especially this one, because I think they conjure up these unreal, overly-dramatic, romanticized portrayals of who people are (in turn, undermining who they really are). I think this is also why I generally don't like movies that are biographies. They present something as fact, people believe it, and it's not necessarily true. I'd rather watch a documentary (relatively unbiased) on someone -- or read the Bible's version -- and form my own understanding of who people are. I don't need gimmicks.

Feel free to respond to my initial question, though, not necessarily my tangent.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I prefer to think that I'm already doing what needs to be done "for the one I love." I sure hope this is the hard part...

(By the way, remind me to send you an mp3 of Sufjan singing the REM song "The One I Love." Beautiful.)

July 25, 2006 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Lauren for the most part.

In the end, I guess I'd be willing to do whatever I need to do to be with the right person (who genuinely loves me back). And I'd like to think that she'd be willing to do the same.

Lexia, how do you feel about alternate histories, like "Rex Mundi" or Orson Scott Card's "Tales of Alvin Maker"?

July 25, 2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I know you're only in Genesis right now, but I think you'll like the story of Ruth.

July 26, 2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I think I could wait a pretty long time. I mean, once you know who or what the goal is, it's easier to be patient.

July 26, 2006 1:29 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Ian: I don't think I've ever heard of those books, but I'll look 'em up.

Lad: Actually I'm in Numbers. Leviticus was a little bit of an upheaval because it's so repetative in terms of the specific details in performing sacrifices. I'm looking forward to Ruth, though.

July 26, 2006 1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sort of a sucker for tragic love stories: I ache for poor Leah. :(

And way to go, Lexia! So many people just skip over or skim the pentateuch; I applaud your resolve!

July 26, 2006 3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd stand naked on an overpass (which is a very scary thought for me, the naked part not the overpass)while imitating Sara's "drunk-girl" dance (which would be horrible to know that all those drivers would see my fat jiggling in places I've never seen, which would cause a wreck, and traffic would be at a standstill b/c of the wreck and they all would be watching me)all while having to pee into the bed of a truck traveling under the overpass without missing (come on, girls have to squat to aim-how am I supposed to make it into the bed of the truck if I am busy doing the dance?)if it would save Clay's life.......And I have NO idea where all that came from.

August 04, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Was your blood sugar low when you wrote that Summer?

:o)

August 04, 2006 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the story of Hosea, she doesn't love him right but he loves her endlessly. His love for her is beautiful, and God uses Hosea's love for Gomer as an example of His love for us, that he'd do anything for all of us and we cheat on him just like Gomer does to Hosea.

April 27, 2014 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home