7.22.2006

Songs My Future Husband and I Will Dance To

If you know me really well, you know I have a great passion for The Dance. Sometimes I forget how much I love to dance. Songs from the 80s are always fun to shake to. Classic rock is perfect for when you want to pretend you're a rock star. But, believe it or not, I have a special affinity for hip-hop. It just knows how to move me better than most genres. It's important my future husband understands this and participates in this indulgence of mine. Just to clarify, I'm not saying I love any and all hip-hop music. I've found that with hip-hop, finding a good song is like finding a needle in a haystack. However, spending the time to look for that needle is more important than just getting a new one for 30 cents. Why? Because once you've finally found that needle, you're able to use it for its intended purpose -- to dance! This is all just to preface my newest discovery. I have to tell you guys how much I love the new Nelly Furtado song, "Promiscuous." My sister says this song is a far cry from her song "I'm Like A Bird." I agree; however I hear this song and my body feels the same way it does when it hears the following:

-Jay-Z "Big Pimpin'" and "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It To Me)" with my man Pharrell, okay and also "Can I Get A..."
-Britney Spears "Toxic" and kinda "Me Against the Music" (the one with Madonna)
-Notorious B.I.G. "Hypnotize"
-Kelis "Milkshake"
-Puff Daddy "It's All About the Benjamins"
-Justin Timberlake "What You Got, Oh No"
-Dr. Dre "Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang"
-Eve "Let Me Blow Ya Mind"
-Ja Rule "I'm Real"
-Outkast "Ms. Jackson"
-Jurassic 5 "Quality Control"
-Beyonce "Crazy In Love"
-Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance"
-Missy Elliott "Pass the Dutch"
-Mace "Feel So Good"
-That hip hop song Leah used to play that sampled some 1960 song with a lotta brass instruments. I know, many hip hop songs sample 60s horns, but whatever.
-A Slick Rick song that I don't know the name of and am too scared to look through most of his lyrics to find.
-And any track from the album "Ill Communication" by the Beastie Boys

I'm not saying these are the best hip-hop songs or even the best songs to dance to, I'm just saying I can't get enough of them. I mean I never get tired of "Big Pimpin'," I always jump when "Crazy In Love" plays, and forget about "Toxic" -- those beats are dangerous! By-the-way, if someone has all of these songs can you please make me a CD or email them to me. Edited versions preferred. Thanks.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm going to assume that you either don't listen to the lyrics, or are actually revealing a dark, debauched side of your personality that has heretofore been hidden from casual observers... ;D

I love the Jay-Z and Outkast songs, and just about anything by Missy Elliot is good. I don't dance, but they're great when you're cruising around in your car.

July 22, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Mmm. I love mid-90's rap. Dre, OutKast, 2Pac. I forget how much. Until I hear and remember every word.

Remember "I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her"? I heard that song a couple of weeks ago. Man. It was fun.

July 22, 2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Brigham said...

What about "Fire" by Joe Budden featuring Busta Rhymes? You know . . . the "Jersey's here" song.

July 22, 2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Tina, I've been thinking we need to go dancing again as well. For real, for serious real. By-the-way, what's reggaeton? Is it that new Peruvian dance move everyone's doing?

:o) Miss you!

July 24, 2006 4:42 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I totally forgot to put "The Seed" by The Roots featuruing Cody Chesnutt!!! How could I have forgotten my baby?

July 24, 2006 4:45 AM  
Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

Yeah, where was Work It from Missy Elliott on this list? You may blush while listening, but you'll also be dancing simultaneously.

July 24, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Umm, I prefer "Dancing in the Moonlight" and "Twist and Shout."

July 25, 2006 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how I came across this specific blog post, but as a true hip hop aficionado, I feel it's important to let you know that anything produced by Jay Dee or J Dilla is pretty much guaranteed to make anyone with a sense of rhythm move it.

January 08, 2009 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home