7.18.2006

The Common Denominator


As Lexia’s roommate, friend, and confidant, this month’s post dedicated to her future spouse has got me thinking (by George, we have lift off). I haven’t been engaged (no pun intended) in much thought about dating or my future spouse lately, as family and career currently consume my thoughts. Which makes me think of the saying that relationships always happen when you are least expecting/looking for them. (If I pretend to not be looking but I really am, does that work?) I think this saying really means that when you’re anxiously involved in being happy, others are attracted to your confidence and your chances of meeting someone just increase. I don’t know if that applies to my current situation, but let’s move on.

Yesterday, I received an email from my mother:
Reghan,
This is a brother of a young man in our ward. They want to set him up with you if you are interested. He lives in Phoenix and is in real estate. His brother that is in our ward is very handsome and his wife is very friendly. They are excited about this.
Would you like to send him a picture?
Love, Mom


My mother received this email:
Here are a few pictures of (I’ll retain some confidentiality here). Please send some pictures of your daughter, if there is mutual interest we can exchange email addresses.
Thank you!


It seems pretty harmless and my mother made it very clear that there was absolutely no pressure to respond. So, I looked at the pictures. Okay, he’s cute. If I send him pictures of me, and he thinks that I’m cute, what next? We start emailing, find out we totally click over discussing music, movies, traveling, outdoor activities, the fact that I’ve visited Phoenix once, and that my aunt lives there. Just imagine it -- we meet over Christmas when he’s visiting family, I’m visiting family, and fall in love. What a great story.

It could happen, but that’s not the point. As I was thinking about why exactly this couple in my mother’s ward thought we should be set up, I realized that we shared the great common denominator:

I am “older and single;" he is “older and single."

Wow, that sounds like a perfect match! I mean I know how it feels to be “older and single”; I think it’s a real point of connection. These are lean times. My wonderful 80-something year old great aunt never married. She was a tall redheaded knock out with an angelic voice, and was that ripe age when all the boys went off to save the world from the destruction of WWII. Today she is totally active and in great shape: Monday - bowling, Tuesday - golf, Wednesday - movie night, you get the picture. No, really, this sweet young couple who emailed my mom is just looking out for their older brother, and I suppose I should be flattered. They know next to nothing about me and are willing to give me a chance. Should I do the same? As I approach the number 27 in a little over a month, I am definitely fitting into that “older” category. A girl’s 27 is like a guy’s 31, and all those interns feel a bit like my little brother (if I had a little brother).

In the past month, only guys I wouldn’t consider *normal enough to date have approached me for my phone number. This guy in Arizona is probably normal, but he lives in Arizona.

I really only have two criteria for my future husband: Normal in New York…where are you?


*Normal does not equal boring.

Reghan recently graduated with her Master’s in Dance Education from NYU. She resides in an 8' x 10', non air-conditioned New York apartment on the sixth floor of a walk-up building (i.e. no elevator). She enjoys shopping, pea-con pie, and cartwheels. If you’re an older and single male, feel free to send me your picture and I’ll be happy to pass it along to her.

25 Comments:

Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

When a friend or relative sets you up with a really hideous match based on the common denominator, should you take offense? Do they see you as physically/emotionally equal to the hideous match? I especially love it when they are offended of your lack of interest.

July 18, 2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ha! That's great. I say go for the Arizona boy. Or man, rather.

You know, at what point, or what age, does the pressure to get married really start? I still think (at 24) that relationships should be fun and marriage should be an afterthought or a consequence of a mostly fun relationship. But, really, when does it start to sink in that you should be getting married? That time's a-tickin'? This is a hypothetical question, of course. I'm not directing it to Reghan. I'm just petrified of the day that I might have to make the decision to give up and live my life as a single woman. Wow. That was oddly personal. Sorry.

Miss you Reghan!

July 18, 2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

And NYC has a population of 8 million. Your chances are good.

July 18, 2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Bilaeva said...

There is no giving up age. A couple years ago a woman in my ward in England married for the first time at the age of 57. I've seen her and her husband together a couple of times since then. They're always beaming. Which means it wasn't even a last ditch attempt. They're really in love. I think that slightly ill-feeling of worrying when's it going to really happen is always there when you're not dating, or not dating someone you think you could stick with, irregardless of age. But it really is shocking how much we waste these good years in our twenties (when our energy and health and opportunities are at their maximum) worrying about not being fixed up. Like calories, I've learned, just in time, four months to go, to stop worrying about it and and just enjoy life (and creamy/cheesy foods).

July 18, 2006 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reminded of one of my favorite exchanges from "Futurama":

FRY: "What's so wonderful about being normal? The rest of us aren't normal, and that's what makes us great. Like Dr. Zoidberg! He's a weird monster who smells like he eats garbage, and does."

ZOIDBERG: "Damn right!"

FRY: "And the professor's a senile, amoral crackpot."

PROFESSOR: "Ohhhea."

FRY: "Hermes is a rastafarian accountant."

HERMES: "Tally me banana!"

FRY: "Amy's a klutz from Mars!"

AMY: (crash) "S'ploops!"

PROFESSOR: "And Fry, you've got that brain thing."

FRY: "I already did! So Leela - do you wanna be like us, or do you wanna be like Adelai...with no severe mental or social problems whatsoever?"

LEELA: (scornfully) "That's a stupid question."


I also think different people are ready for marriage at different times. I'm looking forward to it, personally, but then I'm monogamous by nature.

July 18, 2006 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a general rule, there are two questions I never ask a woman: her weight... and her age.

But, my curiosity has, once again, made me stray into dangerous waters... What exactly constitutes as older?

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

July 18, 2006 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I realize that she says how old she is... I was curious what "older man" constitutes?

July 18, 2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

"Older" probably indicates that a person has graduated -- or should've graduated by now -- from college. That's the next big lifestage marker after high school, right? So the next one is, naturally, marriage.

Naturally. :)
Personally, I don't consider myself older at 24, but when several of my friends are getting married and a LOT of my friends are married couples, I do feel "older." I don't think it should be this way, but it is.

July 18, 2006 5:04 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

By the way, I really like this post, Reghan. You are a great storyteller.

July 18, 2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

In general, older to me has always indicated something around 30. Maybe that's why a lot of people have a hard time turning 30. You can no longer use the excuse "I screwed up, but I'm young."

I remember when I was about 8 my mom told me she was 39. I remember thinking how much older she was than me. Now that I'm 25 and my mom is about 56, I don't feel she's that much older than me. Funny.

HOWEVER, if I met a 56 year-old-man who wanted to date me (and honestly folks, older men hit on me more than younger men) I would think he was old. 40 is too old as well. A ten year difference is about my limit in terms of dating.

July 18, 2006 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 doesn't seem that "old" to me.
Never has.

I had the same experience with my parents as well. I guess its all a matter of comparison and experience.

July 18, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

You know, I was thinking. At least the common denominator isn't something like, I don't know, you both have cleft palates or hairlips or something.

July 18, 2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Not that people with cleft palates and hairlips don't deserve love, too. They do.

July 18, 2006 9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first cleft palate/hairlip comment made me laugh out loud. The second comment increased the volume exponentially.

July 19, 2006 1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think the "er" on the end of old is just a notch above the average, whatever that is. In terms of marrying age, well late twenties early thirties get tagged with the "er". But it does definately NOT mean old. For goodness sakes!

Miss talking to ya Lauren, thanks for the positive feedback Sara, and thanks to Lexia for just being you.

July 19, 2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

I'm stepping in on this one. I just had my thirtieth birthday on the fourth of July and I cried. then I had a party a few days later and I cried when I saw the cake with the 30 candles and then I cried when I got home. I am old. It stinks. And I'm getting married in a month but somehow that didn't pretend to ease the pain. So, I just wanted to say that inviting Reghan onto this blog was a great idea. REghan, don't start a relationship with someone in Phoenix, this guy sounds familiar, I think his sister tried to set me up with him too. Skip it.

July 20, 2006 3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mary...

You are, most assuredly, not old! To say you are old is putting me in that category (a slight I'll overlook, this time ;). Although I'll be turning 30 soon, I feel younger than I have in years. I'm looking forward to my 30s.

I think this fixation with age is directly related to the idea that life should go by a fixed script: grade school... college... marriage... children... retirement... grandchildren... death... [insert after death belief here]

Although worthy goals, for me they are quite restrictive. I wouldn't want my happiness to be dependent on what society has deemed normal.

Since I don't follow the script, I can't feel that I've missed my stage queue.

But that, of course, is just me. The road to happiness is unique to us all... mine happens to be lined with unrehearsed adventures.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!" -Hunter S. Thompson

July 20, 2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

That's a fun quote, Madison, but I want to skid sideways, chocolate in one hand, A ROOT BEER FLOAT in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WITH someone doing the same thing by my side. I decided a while ago that my world is more fun with people in it (not that I'm saying you don't include people in yours, I'm just trying to sound wise here).

July 20, 2006 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mary for your honesty. I'll probably cry too and not just because of turning 30, but I pretty much cry every year. I don't know what my deal is.

And good advice on Mr. Arizona. I think I'll politely decline.

July 20, 2006 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Reghan,
Hold on. I'm on my way.


Normal* in NY

*definitely not boring, but really stretching the definition of normal...

July 20, 2006 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonynous (no last name) is:

Domain Name rr.com ? (Commercial)
IP Address 72.225.222.# (ROADRUNNER-NYC)
ISP ROADRUNNER-NYC
Location Continent : North America
Country : United States (Facts)
State : New York
City : Brooklyn
Lat/Long : 40.6525, -73.9554 (Map)

Language English (United States)
en-us
Operating System Microsoft WinXP
Browser Internet Explorer 7.0
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Javascript version 1.3
Monitor Resolution : 1680 x 1050
Color Depth : 32 bits

Time of Visit Jul 20 2006 7:04:36 pm
Last Page View Jul 20 2006 9:02:23 pm
Visit Length 1 hour 57 minutes 47 seconds
Page Views 15
Referring URL http://www.blogger.com/profile/25188845
Visit Entry Page http://lexiasnow.blogspot.com/
Visit Exit Page http://lexiasnow.blogspot.com/
Out Click 20 comments
http://www.blogger.c...0184427&isPopup=true
Time Zone UTC-5:00
Visitor's Time Jul 20 2006 7:04:36 pm
Visit Number 1,135

This is cool sara.

July 21, 2006 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys are going to make people too paranoid to post. Or possible start using one of the many fine anonymizers out there on the web.

July 24, 2006 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muahahah

July 24, 2006 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous...I'm waiting. Though, i don't know if this would work, i'm kinda a mac girl.

July 24, 2006 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Reghan,

I'm glad you're waiting. They say patience is a virtue; let me know how that works out for you. Really though, would you let brand loyalty ruin a chance like this? (And if that were the only reason this wouldn't work, I'd still be willing to give it a shot!) Maybe we could make up the difference by meeting in an Apple store...imagine how romantic that would be...

Normal* in NY


ps. Mad, thanks for the tip on the anonymizer, though it may be a little late for it at this point.

*Did you know that Normal is actually a town in central Illinois?

July 25, 2006 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home