1.21.2007

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow!


Click image to enlarge.

When I was in the fifth grade, a friend of mine named Lillian said I had stringy hair. I disagreed with her and have for ages. In the last few years, though, I have come to understand that I do indeed have stringy hair. Most of the reason why I have such stringy hair is probably due to the fact that I hate brushing my hair. It feels like a waste of time to me because as soon as the wind blows (which it usually does) it gets messed up again. This idea cross-pollinates with my sentiments on making my bed, but that's another story in and of itself. In short, why make you're bed when you're just going to mess it up again in a few hours? I digress. Another biological reason my hair is so stringy is because I have fine hair and a lot of it. A hairdresser once told me as she was carefully assessing my dyed golden locks that fine hair gets knots easier than course hair (thicker strands). So it's not all entirely my fault.

Over Christmas I didn't brush my hair for two weeks and accidentally began growing dreadlocks. Yes, I washed it; I just didn't brush it after I washed it. I had some serious knots people. I had been thinking about getting my hair cut for a while now. I've had short hair many times before so it's no big deal. In the fourth grade I wanted my hair to look like Chynna Phillips (of the musical group Wilson Phillips). Then when I was in the ninth grade I saw an old photo of my mom wearing a wig in the sixties and liked it. It was similar to the haircut I have now (minus bangs and add bleached strands in the front). THEN when I was maybe a junior in college, I got another bob. It's during this stage of my hair/life that people referred to me as looking like a computer nerd. I'm not really sure why. So it's been a pattern that about every five years I chop my hair off.

I don't really like my haircut that much 'cause some of the layers aren't even and I wanted it to be a more drastic assymetrical cut - more rockerish and less Hillary Clintonish. Oh, well. I'll eventually get there (by my calculations in approximately four months). The other day this guy asked me "why did you cut your hair?" I didn't really know what to say except, "well, I guess I had a momentary lapse of judgement." I don't know WHY I cut my hair exactly, I just did. I guess I wanted a bit of a change. Because I didn't want to grow dreadlocks. Because I just felt like it. Most people have been very supportive of this new change of mine. It's always nice to have people say they like something you do/have even if it's only out of politeness. So thanks everyone. It's growing on me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Sexi Lexi, do your thing.

I realized why I like your hair short. I like it because when your hair is short, your profile is more visible and distinct. And you know I love your profile -- it's perfect in every particular!

January 22, 2007 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes.

January 22, 2007 1:46 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love it. The front is perfect and the back looks good, too.

And I'm not just saying that out of politeness.

January 22, 2007 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally pictures of the famous haircut. You would think I would have already seen it since we live in the same city. It looks great. I like. =)

January 22, 2007 4:38 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

If you call that Hilary Clintonish, I am defiantly voting for her this coming election. If only her hair looked half as good as yours.

You look so good Lex that when I looked at your picture I got a little envious! I mean the natural woman came out of me, you know the one that has to think of something bad to say about the pretty girl in order to feel better about them self. I just can't. You're perfect! PURR-FECT!

January 22, 2007 6:21 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Thanks everyone - although I'm not sure what the "yikes" comment was about (hopefully just the potential dreadlocks). My next hair move is to go darker. I've been trying to do this for some time now, but my hair always lightens to the same blonde shade after I dye it. Maybe it'll work this time.

January 23, 2007 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It definitely makes you look older. I can easily see you walking into the CSC with a couple of kids and a haggard-looking man, bugging me about a perceived billing issue I have no control over.

March 30, 2007 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home